Namibia is a beautiful Southern African country that’s considered the gem of Africa. Blessed with mind blowing scenery and a rich history, Namibia has more than enough for you to explore on a vacation there. At Wakanow, we’re committed to ensuring that all your travel dreams come to pass, one country at a time. With our travel package to Namibia, you get to participate in tons of exciting activities and enjoy all of the beauty that Namibia has to offer. Wondering what to expect on a trip to Namibia? We’ve got you. Let’s get to it!
Places to Visit
- Etosha National Park: This is one of the most accessible games reserves in Southern Africa. If you’re looking to stay in the park for an extended period of time, accommodations are available. This park has an abundance of wildlife animals including Africa’s big five: Lions, Rhinoceros, Leopard, African bush Elephants and Buffaloes.
- Sossusvlei: One of the foremost tourist attraction spots in Namibia. This amazing collection of red dunes in the southern part of the Namib desert, is a lovely sight to behold. Enjoy climbing up the Dunes including the highest one: ‘Big daddy’ to get a more amazing view of the other Dunes.
- Fish River Canyon: This is the largest canyon in Africa and one of the most visited tourist attractions in Namibia. It consists of two Canyons: the upper canyon and the lower canyon. The very rugged terrain makes it a very popular hiking location in Southern Africa so if you enjoy hiking, then you have to visit.
- Namib Desert: The oldest desert in the world where the ocean meets desert. This desert stretches along the Atlantic coasts of South Africa, Namibia and Angola. Here, you can meet some of Namibia’s indigenous tribes and learn a little about their way of life.
Foods to Try
As a tourist, you might be a little confused about your food options when visiting Namibia. What you might not know about Namibian dishes is the fact that they have a lot of German and English influences. You can also be sure that they make their meals with a large variety of meats.
- Potjiekos: Usually made in a pot called potjie, and is a result of Dutch influence in Namibia. A popular choice during picnics and parties, you can’t go wrong with trying it out. Its a slow-cooked dish of meat and vegetables with fresh herbs added to give it a great taste.
- Oshithima: This is probably the most popular Oshiwambo food choice. Its paste made from millet paired with vegetables and stew. Its a filling and perfect dish to eat after a long day out.
- Zambezi Bream: A fish lover’s delight, if you find yourself around the Zambezi, this is a must-try. The Zambezi bream is a specie of fish that’s grilled with salt and spices. Some times, it can be served with maize pap and steamed spinach.
- Mieliepap: Basically corn flour and soups eaten with vegetables, pepper and spices. Its one of the major foods that form the basic diet of Namibian people.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Namibia is from July to October. This is the season where the chances of rain is low. Its also a peak season for tourists and the best time to enjoy wildlife viewing.
The currency used in Namibia is Namibian dollars.
To find out more about Namibia, you can read all about it here.